Thanksgiving, Schedule, Cooking


Since we last spoke, a great deal has happened and I sort of glossed over it. I was pretty sick all last weekend from the wonderful thanksgiving meal we ate. It was a 150 Quai (approx $25) all you can eat buffet. And we ate. And ate. We paused to go around the table to say what we were thankful for, and returned to eating. Mashed potatoes, gravy, duck, stuffing, 4 kinds of salads, a meat counter where you could pick a raw meat and have them cook it up for you on an outdoor barbecue, sweet potatoes, and even TURKEY!
I have to say this is my first thanksgiving without the family, but it was fun to spend it with some good new friends and hear what they are thankful for. Some traditions are truly valuable.

I taught my first class today! It was the little yellow post-it stuck on my schedule. It was pretty scary but a lot of fun. Once the prof introduced me and took off I said something - far too quickly for them to understand - and then slowed down and the class went smoothly from there.

My Schedule

y1,y2,y3 Tutorials - I meet 2 times a week with a group of students and work with them on their english speaking skills. The class is extremely informal and we generally sit around just talking about their plans, my experiences in America, or anything else. My tutorial students have been a lot of fun.

TESL - I have this written on my schedule for 7 hours. I have no idea what this is... I was just told to block it off. TIC (This is China, a phrase taught to us immediatly upon arrival. Used to explain events and actions we don't understand.)

English Corner - A club (all first years must take at least a club each semester). Students play sports or learn about sports in the classroom.

Weekly Meeting - The Enlgish T.A.s meet with the Head of the Enlgish Dept.

Writing Center - I explained this in the past, we help students with their papers, presentations, etc.

Office Hours - You know, work on my blog, etc.

Chinese - 2 times a week we meet for Chinese lessons. The first 2 lessons we just made noises, now we learn words!!!

Enlgish Lessons - Once a week we teach enlish lessons to staff/faculty. It's what we offer in return for the Chinese lessons.

I plan on cooking. I don't know what most of these veggies are but I will try learn, and make something. We'll see how this goes.

1 remarks:

Megan said...

TESL: The Excellent Stud League? The Exciting Student Legislation? Teachers Exemplifying Superb Lessons?

For real though, my best guess is "Teaching English as a Second Language".

And this sports club? Do they have FRISBEE? If they do, I know who's going to be excited.