Eating weird things

Since we last spoke (me to you, not visa versa) I have eaten congealed blood, bought tickets for christmas, and gotten sick. Well maybe I've been sick a lot of the time I've been here. But that's not a big deal, Ben (my roomate) assures me, most of the time you are in China you will be sick. Great...

Well anyways, I have bigger fish to fry, and blood to congeal. Serously?!? Yea. That's nasty. I'm talking about 'red' tofu. Yeeuuck. The Chinese tell me that Japanese tofu is totally different, "it's sweeter." They then go on to tell me about this amazing dish from Shezuan (I know I am botching the spelling but bear with me). It's a spicy dish, they tell me. It's so spicy, it kills all the bacteria that is in the intestines, liver, and congealed blood floating around in it (after all it is a soup). Cool, sign me up.... Not so much. after eating one or two slices of congealed blood, you might begin to notice the bubbles or the odd 'undertexture'. *Wuffff* This is about the time that I bring up the "you eat dog meat? In America we consider dogs, MANS BEST FRIEND"....but mostly out of defense.

SPEAKING OF DOG!!!! A week ago we went out to a resturant as a group and one of my friends was visiting the bathroom. When he entered the bathroom he saw a swarm of dogs hanging out by the kitchen, gathering scraps and what not. When he left the bathroom he saw one of these dogs hit with a blunt object and dragged into the kitchen............sweet. I don't think I have ever been so skeptical about the food I was chowing on. I was chewing on crabs leggs, pulled straight from the leg of a crab (it still had all it's anatomy attached, eyes and all) and I couldn't not imagine anthing but ugggg, I'm finished eating.

Well back to the present, tomorrow I hike up the 'ol mountains again hopefully this time we make it to the monastary without getting tired and turning around. We will randez-vous at 10 am so I must go to sleep.

Ahhhh, added as a second thought I didn't fill you all in one my Christmas plans, we do have Christmas here in China, even thought it's warm as summer in MN. I will be flying to an Island called Hynan. I botched the spelling, as I have only heard it spoken. It's supposed to be quite spectacular and have a neighboring island -- monkey island. All my students are asking me to bring them back coconuts. meh.

Best to all,
quin ah sen

3 remarks:

Nate said...

Dag Yo.

That's ridiculous that you were able to try those foods. That's a story to save for the snotty brats of the future. "well i ate blood!" Get Good.

Tracy P. said...

Yeah. I ate some version of congealed blood in the Philippines. Blood pudding, they called it. Glad Jello hasn't packaged that. Anyway, silly me. It was in a bowl beside the roasted pig, and I thought it was gravy...before I dug in. Hello.

Ed O. said...

Jonson.
Can't you call the Chinese Humane Society or PETA?