Welcome to china!

Yey! I made it! Nearly a month and a half behind schedule I step off the plane and take my first breath of Hong Kong air - surprisingly fresh... compared to the airplane at least.

Our group of six left the airport and checked in to our hotel on Man Fuk Road at the YWCA. We went out to Lan Kwi Fong, a bar street which was jam packed with brits and aussis. There were lot of pink polos with popped collars. I was nervous that this was a taste of things to come.


The next day we met our boss who bought us our first family style meal of dumplings, 2 types of strong teas, egg soup, and fried noodles. We then boarded the ferry and crossed into paradise.


Palm trees, islands, sand, and highrises. We climbed aboard a charter bus and drove 2 hours though a few cities and finally arrived at our present residence - the international hotel.

It has taken me awhile to start blogging because the Chinese government has blocked a number of blog sites. This one appears to work so I will use it as much as I can.

Jia You!

5 remarks:

Nate said...

YAY Jon! You made it! Ahh good old Man Fuk Road. I'm so pumped that you will be blogging. This will allow me to kill hours at work!

Eric Olson said...

Good show lad!

Megan said...

That is a picture of the Zhuhai Fisher Girl...which is TOTALLY on a certain checklist. I'm glad someone else found humor in the "Man Fuk Road" besides me. "Bye bye" (see, I can speak Chinese).

Megan

Jonathan said...

nate, i am happy to help you kill some hours at work. yesterday I was thinking how cool it was that I could spend some of my office hours blogging, and then when i finished blogging and uploading the photos, I looked at the clock and freaked out because I still had a lot of work to do.
Our classes haven't started yet, but there is a lot of work to be done meeting the students, filling out reimbursement forms, and correcting papers (we will be reimbursed for the fees associated with getting out here).

Jonathan said...

Megan,
I totally was looking through my checklist last night and I have completed 3-4 of them already!!! The Zhuhai fisher girl is a big attraction for the locals, the dock leading up to here is always milling with chinese people.