Return from the great countryside!

Ah! Fresh air from the countryside. I made sure to take a bunch of pictures and videos to capture the moment and was able to have a great time in the process.

On Friday night all the T.A.s headed out to a nearby island, and had a dinner with a few of the profs. Of the entire group, two older professors and another T.A. and I were the last to show up due to a combination of bad directions and tenacious individuals. Anyways, we made it to the dinner in time to pick the bones of a fish, eat a bit of eel, and gobble down enough rice to quell our stomachs churning. I then parted from my group with Ryan (another T.A.) and called it an early night... Don't get me wrong -- we had to.

On Saturday morning at 8am, 24 UIC folks piled into a large van/small bus (it was far from sufficient) and drove 4 hours to a village of lepers. In hindsight the visit was quite similar to the visits I have done in the past to nursing homes and the likes. But on the bus ride there I was getting pretty nervous. We stopped a long the way to pick up food from a market so we could cook for ourselves over the weekend.

The village was great! They evern had a volunteer wing for all 24 of us to sleep (on beds like the villagers - two sawhorses and plywood streched on top). MmmmMmm. I slept about 2 hours as the mosquitoes were bothering the crap out of me and my bed tent appeared to be doing nothing.

Well anyways, a blog with out pictures is like a fish without fins -- so on to the good stuff.


This is a picture of a villager and the sign posted by the entrance of the village.




This is our first lunch. Potatoes cut into strips cooked in oil, fish soup, eggs and tomatoes, Bok Choy and onions, and tons of rice.




These guys love their dogs, and their dogs love them too. Sometimes the dogs would be picking on each other and they would run by these old guys for protection. Other times the old guys would grab them forcefully by the scruff and get them in the "Don't make me stand like a human pose" and beckon us to snap photos of them. The dog would writhe but the old men would just grin away.


0 remarks: