Hong Kong Hotels

I am in Hong Kong waiting for my parents to arrive. I've spent the past few days exploring the city and trying to get a functional knowledge of some of the ins-and-outs so that we can hit the ground running. It's a remarkable city - hiking, shopping, people, water, and all sorts of food.

Yesterday I found a nice little hotel - the H.K. Tai San Guest House for relatively cheap (350 HKD/night). It is kept by an older woman who always seems to be hanging around doing laundry, feeding people who I assume are family members, or cleaning rooms. Hong Kong has a huge number of hotels priced from dirt cheap all the way up and quality to match. One place is famous for it's cheap price and filthy rooms - the *cough* masion (150-180 HKD). It sounds like the Chauchink or Junkie mansion depending on who I have asked but anyone on the street seems to have heard of it... I steered clear of it after telling a collegue I was thinking about staying there and he told me it was terrible and he would never go back.

Most hotels I have been looking at like the YMCA, YWCA, etc. have been 400 and up. I stayed two nights ago at the Novotel for 800 and it was decent, but it had a terrible location. It took us 350 to take a taxi in to central and 350 to get back home after...

The first night I was here I stayed at the Langham Place which was really expensive and the foyer reeked of collogne.

2 remarks:

Tracy P. said...

Oh, I am green with envy, and not because I'm Irish! I know you three will have a blast! Take your mom to Stanley market. She will have fun!

The cough mansion...yuck!!

Eric Olson said...

Your blog is VERY good.........

hi mom!